Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Attempted Sea Turtle Excursion:

To prove to Tom that I’m not too busy with African boys ;)

So we got a great idea at about 2:00 p.m. on a Friday, that we should go and find some sea turtles.  In order to do this, we made reservations at a beach resort called, Green Turtle Lodge and then had to find a way to get there.  Yay for public transportation in Ghana!  We jumped in taxis to get to Kaneshie station, where we would catch a bus/van to Takoradi and then get a cab to Busua to the place where we would stay.  This is something that we learned would prove to be a little more difficult to accomplish than we had originally comprehended.  We made it to Kaneshie to meet our other friend and then waited amongst the market bustle for a van to take us to our next location.  We found one and hopped aboard the 15-passenger vehicle.  Traffic was horrific.  It took us about 7 hours total for this expedition.  We arrived in Takoradi alive (thank God for air conditioning).  We got a cab who swore he knew where our lodge was…of course, what have we learned about cab drivers…don’t trust them! We drove to Busua and had to ask around to find where we were going.  The road that took us to the lodge, mind you it was pitch black out by this time, was probably the worst road ever created.  If you could call it a road… The car can’t have been better off for taking us all the way out there.  We got to our site and no one was awake.  Dark and very much alone, we walked around to try and find where we would be staying.  Since we didn’t really know what else to do, I took a walk on the beach.  The most amazing beach I’ve ever seen.  It felt like a deserted island.  I’ve never seen so many stars in my life.  We found a couple of tents that looked like they may be for us…so we crashed there for a few hours until we were going to get up and look for the sea turtles that were supposed to be hatching.  Needless to say, we didn’t find any..why would we see something that we planned to see? That’s too easy.  I did see the sunrise though.  Walking along a serene beach in the morning with a dog that decided to join along was a pretty good way to spend my time.  Made me miss Scout quite a bit.  A guy came out with a long pole with a blade attached to it.  He was going to go cut some coconuts down.  I got in on that, too.  We hung out on the beach for the morning, and then it was regrettably time to begin the long journey back to Accra.  Quite hard to leave.  Places like that leave you with nothing but thoughts and tranquility.  I imagine it to feel how the North Shore does for my mom.  A crazy adventure, but overall…glad we did it.  Maybe next time, we’ll start to plan a little earlier.  Makes for a good story, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment